Canadian Trucking Authority

Canadian Trucking Authority $725

Our process to obtain the CBSA Code and eManifest credentials takes 3-7 business days to complete.

  • Carriers who transport cargo from USA to Canada and back will not need a Canadian Bond
  • Carriers who transport cargo within Canada, (pick/drop in Canada) will need a Canadian Bond

Steps to get CBSA Carrier Code for Canadian Truck Authority

The following information is needed to start the process. Submit the documents below to to get started.


Please send by email in PDF format

Please remove document from plastic covers or binder before scanning. Ensure document is legible and is not blurry

  1. Required: Complete this Contact Form to provide your business name and address
  2. Certified copy of Certificate of Incorporation
  3. Articles of Incorporation or Organization - showing owners of the company
  4. Copy of Drivers License of all owners of the company
  5. Copy of truck registration (IRP CAB Card)
  6. Copy of Certificate of Insurance showing coverage amount and VINs of all coverered vehicles
  7. Copy of IFTA Certificate for all vehicles with GVWR 26,000 lbs and over


  • Payment is required at time of submission.
  • Please submit payment (amount: $725) using our secure page here:

    All Major Credit/Debit Cards Accepted. PayPal account not required

Additional information about Trucking in Canada

  • Before entering into Canada your Trucking Company must be setup with the CBSA (Canada Border Service Agency) and apply for a CBSA-issued carrier code.
  • A carrier code is a four-character unique identifier that is assigned by the CBSA to identify a carrier.
  • The generic carrier code 77YY is no longer valid.
  • The Carrier Code will be used in the PARS (Pre-arrival Review System).
  • Carriers must have printed barcodes available to attach to all BOLs.
  • Barcode stickers can be printed at any of the CBSA suggested companies.

Enroll for the FAST Program (Free and Secure Trade)

  • Apply for the FAST (Free and Secure Trade) program
  • The FAST Commercial Driver Program allows you to use FAST dedicated lanes in Canada and the United States (where available);
    • Cross the border with accelerated customs and immigration processing
    • Transport eligible goods for FAST-approved carriers and importers.

Confirm Registration & Insurance Requirements

  • Add the regions or states you will be crossing to your IRP (CAB Card) registration with the DMV of your state
  • Add the specific Canadian province/territory that you will be entering to your IFTA permits.
  • Acquire liability, cargo and reefer insurance.
  • Third party liability coverage for general freight has to be for a minimum of $1,000,000.00.

Cargo insurance is required (based on GVW - Grosss Vehical Weight) as follows

  • GVW up to 27,998 lbs (12,700 kg) - $15,000 minimum
  • GVW up to 46,296 lbs (21,000 kg) - $20,000 minimum
  • GVW up to 81,570 lbs (37,000 kg) - $27,000 minimum
  • GVW over 81570 lbs (37,000 kg) - $32,000 minimum

IRP Vehicle Registration (CAB Card)

  • Commercial vehicles traveling into Canada are required to register.
  • Register for the International Registration Plan (IRP) in your State

IMPORTANT: After you have Canadian Authority you need:


  • Trucks transporting goods into Canada will be required to transmit cargo and conveyance data electronically to the CBSA a minimum of one hour before the shipment arrives at the border.


  • The PARS sticker must be affixed to the BOL and paperwork, then send to your broker for submittal to CBSA for customs clearance


  • Documents must be given to Canadian Customs in the following order:
    1. eManifest
    2. BOLs with PARS barcodes attached
  • Remember that it is one PARS per shipper

Driver Checklist

All drivers that cross into Canada will need the necessary personal documents on hand:

  • Valid Passport
  • Social Security Card
  • Valid CDL - Commercial Drivers License (CDL record must be clean)
  • FAST Membership Card
  • Hours of Service:
    • Canadian Hours of Service Regulations closely follow that of the FMCSA
    • Canada permits a 13-hour driving time within a 14-hour on duty time
    • Canada requires 10 hours OFF DUTY time which can be broken down into the mandatory 8 consecutive hours off duty, and a distribution of the other hours throughout the day in blocks of no less than 30 minutes.

Equipment Checklist

  • Weight:
    • In general, GVW and axle weight limits are higher in Canada
    • Any equipment/load that complies with FMCSA regulations in the United States will be legal in Canada.
  • Length:
    • Most U.S trailer configurations are allowed in Canada
    • The 10-ft, 1-in. axle spread is not admitted in western Canada.
    • The overall length limit is 23 m or 75.5 feet.
    • Some jurisdictions require permits for long wheelbase tractors pulling 53-ft trailers.